Report: Senegal 2 Tanzania 0

first_imgSenegal kicked off their campaign in the 2019 African Cup of Nations with a 2-0 victory over Tanzania in Cairo on Sunday.Goals from Inter Milan forward Keita Balde and a second half stunner from Keprin Diatta handed Aliou Cisse’s men the three points against Emmanuel Amuneke’s side.Aishi Manula started in goal for the Taifa Stars, with Kelvin Yondani and Gadiel Michael leading the defence while captain Mbwana Samatta spearheaded the attack. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Aliou Cisse started Keita Balde, Ismaila Sarr and Mbaye Niang in attack and could have been rewarded after a fine combination in the seventh minute.Badou Ndiaye beat his marker and played Niang through on goal, but the Rennes forward missed the target from close range.Relief came to Senegal, who dominated the first half, when Idrissa Gueye set up Balde in the 28th minute and he fired past goalkeeper Aishi Manula for the opener.Senegal had a chance to double their lead through Niang but the forward missed the chance and just before the half-time break, another opportunity fell to Gueye, but he too failed to hit the target.The second half continued in a similar fashion with Senegal dominating the early proceedings and could have doubled their lead through Keprin Diatta, but his header was saved by Manula.Tanzania seemed to regain their confidence in the second half and gradually grew into the game but failed to seriously threaten Senegal’s defence.Diatta made amends for his earlier miss when he fired in a stunning strike from 18 yards to seal the victory for the West Africans, and was duly named the Man of the match.Emmanuel Amuneke’s men will hope to bounce back from the defeat in their next outing against Kenya in Group C, while Senegal will tackle Algeria on Thursday.  read morelast_img read more

Proposal to Swap Muslim Call to Prayer with Text Messaging Sparks

Rabat- A Ghanaian Minister’s proposal to replace Islam’s traditional call for prayer with text messaging is sparking acrimonious debates among citizens, with many calling the move a blatant violation of religious and minority rights.For the Science, Technology, Environment, and Innovation Minister, Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng, the idea for the proposal is to manage or decrease the “noise pollution” caused by the use of megaphones or loudspeakers during the call for prayer, which has been a source of complaint for many residents in the country’s capital, Accra.Speaking earlier this week at a news conference about the rationale of the proposal, the Ghanaian minister put forward the claim that replacing loudspeaker-based call for prayers with text messages or WhatsApp notifications will benefit both the environment and social cohesion. “In the house of worship, why is it that the house of worship would not be limited to the house of worship…why is it that time for prayer would not be transmitted with a text message or WhatsApp so the imam will sent WhatsApp message to everybody that the prayer time is up so appear,” the minister said.Speaking after the fact to a website the German news outlet Deutsche Welle, Mr. Frimpong-Boateng reaffirmed the government’s position. Although he admitted the move is controversial, he maintained his belief that resorting to texts on WhatsApp would prove effective in attaining the government vision. “I believe that it can help reduce the noise. It is potentially controversial, but it is something we need to think about,” he said.The move is believed to have been inspired by Rwanda, where the same law passed in March.In Ghana, however, where the Muslim population is much more significant than in Rwanda, the proposal has sparked acrimonious controversies, with the majority of Muslim community calling for the minister to step down from his position. The move particularly angered the imams, who see it as virtually impractical and improbable.Speaking to the press, an Accra-based mosque imam said that text messaging cannot be as effective as loudspeakers when it comes to waking people up for the dawn prayer.Another imam, conceding that the noise should be reduced, enquired about the practicality of said proposal: “How can I understandably text everybody who prays at my mosque for five times a day?” he asked, ironically adding that chances are that he does not even know the majority of the people who pray at the mosque, or their phone numbers.One Muslim cleric, however, welcomed the move, calling it a proposal for Muslims to adapt to the changing social norms. “It us possible for us to adapt text messages to call Muslims to prayer,” Sheikh Bagaya said.Outraged by the “unreasonable and unpractical” proposal, the spokesperson for the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Aremeyaw Sahibu, said during a radio interview that the move constitutes “a violation of our religious rights.”For Mr. Shaibu, the call to prayer is a founding tenet of the Islamic faith, a divine command that to which the community of believers must adhere.“For us, the impracticability is clear. The unreasonability is so clear…[The call for prayer] is something divinely determined, [and] beyond one’s wisdom from which we do not intend to depart,” the National Chief Imam’s spokesperson said, calling that the Environment and Innovation Minister unnecessarily controversial, as he “knew the consequences that such an act would create.” read more