Visiting South African cricketers “are uneasy” following Monday’s suicide bomb attack on a pop concert in Manchester but abandoning their tour of England is not under consideration, the team’s manager has said.Britain has increased its security threat level to “critical” from “severe” following the attack that killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena.South Africa begin their three-month tour of England with a one-day international against the hosts at Leeds on Wednesday and team manager Mohammed Moosajee admitted the players were concerned.”As you can understand we have some genuine concerns, the players are uneasy, there was a lot of chatter at the breakfast table,” Moosajee told reporters at the Headingley ground.”I am happy to say we’ve had constant communications from the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) and their security manager.”There have been guarantees put in place that security arrangements will be supplemented, starting today. We’re told there will be more visible police at the stadium, at practice sessions as well as the hotels we will reside at.”The Proteas, who will be eyeing their maiden global title at next month’s Champions Trophy in England and Wales, sign off their tour with the final Test of a four-match series in Manchester.”The hotel we will stay at when we are in Manchester for the last test match is walking distance away from where the events unfolded so there have been some genuine concerns,” Moosaji said.”I think the process has started to make sure the players are reassured that arrangements are being made to try and keep them safe.advertisement”As things stand, there’s no mention of us even thinking of abandoning the tour. If the intelligence information tells us something else we would obviously have to reconsider.”The International Cricket Council (ICC) issued a statement on Tuesday saying it would review security of both the Champions Trophy and the month-long women’s World Cup, also in England and Wales, beginning on June 24.South Africa will also play two other one-day internationals following Wednesday’s contest and three Twenty20 matches against the hosts as part of the tour.
Transfers Pumas sign Iturbe, Malcorra confirm Castillo, Torres exits Jon Arnold Click here to see more stories from this author 04:55 6/5/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Transfers Pumas Liga MX The Mexico City side is bringing in a pair of Tijuana players but bidding farewell to a pair of forwards Pumas are looking to retool after last tournament’s seventh-place finish, announcing a number of transfers as preseason training nears ahead of the 2018 Apertura.Star forward Nicolas Castillo’s rumored move to Benfica has been completed, and former Houston Dynamo striker Erick “Cubo” Torres also is set to leave the club. The forwards had diverse levels of success, with Castillo powering Pumas’ attack with 25 goals scored over three tournaments. Torres arrived from MLS in the winter and scored just twice for the club with both goals coming in Copa MX.Torres is headed north again, but stopping just before the U.S.-Mexico border to join Club Tijuana. Defender Luis Fuentes, a regular who saw time in 18 of Pumas’ 19 matches last season, also is joining Xolos. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now Pumas are getting a pair of players coming the other way from Tijuana with midfielders Juan Iturbe and Víctor Malcorra arriving. Itrube missed most of the season with an ACL injury suffered at the beginning of the Clausura while Malcorra helped Xolos to the Liga MX semifinal.The midfield also will be bolstered by Martin Rodriguez, who spent the last year at Cruz Azul. The 23-year-old Chilean can play on the wing or as an attacking midfielder.Miguel Fraga, formerly Atlas’ goalkeeper, also will join Pumas, ending a long hunt to upgrade at that position after bidding farewell to veteran shot-stopper Alejandro Palacios in 2017. Pumas raced out to an early lead in the 2018 Clausura after finishing in last place in the 2017 Apertura. The team cooled off, but manager David Patino still was able to get the side into the Liguilla where they were eliminated by Club America.The Liga MX Apertura will begin July 20, the league announced Monday, with transfers set to be finalized Wednesday in the league’s annual ‘draft’.