Sandals inspires changes in Labour laws Minister presents amendments

first_img Sandals Royal Bahamian Serves Up Thanks to Firefighters Recommended for you Related Items:#Bahamaslabourlegislation, #magneticmedianews, #Sandalsinpireschangeinlabourlaws, #SandalsRoyalBahamian, #ShaneGibson Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, March 21, 2017 – Nassau – Sandals Resort in The Bahamas was one of the employers which seemed to have inspired recent changes proposed in the House of Assembly to labour legislation.   The media reports on the presentation by Labour Minister, Shane Gibson outline that trade unions get a hand up and engagement before redundancies is more explicit, even mandatory.Minister Gibson recapped some events involving major resorts, Sandals Royal Bahamian was referenced as it last year laid off 600 staff with only days notice to the Ministry of Labour.  Minister Gibson said this is not acceptable and the amendments will require more notice for staff and government.   Unions had accused Sandals of union busting.    Sandals claimed it needed to renovate and reportedly rehired many of the same staffers.There was focus on the removal of ceilings on when severance pay entitlement starts in the Employment Amendment Bill 2017.   The second proposal, outlines changes to the Industrial Relations Amendment Bill 2017 which now makes employers get to the bargaining table faster and demands more accountability by unions.The unions will now have to create reports, have to have greater employee representation in their organizations and those reports once handed over to Ministry of Labour, will be tabled in the House of Assembly.#MagneticMediaNews#Sandalsinpireschangeinlabourlaws#ShaneGibson#SandalsRoyalBahamian#Bahamaslabourlegislationlast_img read more

Rural Utility Agrees to 76M Settlement for Overbilling Ft Knox

first_imgNolin Rural Electric Cooperative agreed to pay $7.6 million to the federal government over charges that it billed the Army for energy-saving projects at Fort Knox, Ky., that should never have been authorized, federal prosecutors said Monday.Prosecutors said the Kentucky utility received $8 million for 20 projects that were touted as saving more than $7 million over a decade but actually were estimated to lose more than $15 million over that period, reported the Lexington Herald-Leader.Prosecutors also cited several incidents in which Nolin charged the Army for projects that had not been approved by listing the costs under unrelated, but authorized, projects.The investigation “uncovered criminal acts and millions of dollars in questionable payments,” acting U.S. Attorney John Kuhn Jr. said. The settlement will produce “an important correction” to ensure future compliance with program requirements, Kuhn added.Since 1996, Fort Knox awarded 108 conservation projects valued at about $270 million to the utility. The DOD Inspector General found through an audit that Fort Knox officials did not properly award and manage projects under the installation’s energy program, according to the story.Meanwhile, Fort Knox’s former energy program manager faces charges related to the overbilling scheme. DOD contractor Gary Meredith worked closely with Nolin and later was hired by the utility as its resource energy manager. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more