Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan has raised eyebrows in Berbice, Region Six after he hosted a meeting at the bottom of a house where a quantity of high-powered illegal weapons and ammunition were found.The issue came to the fore after residents of Corentyne, Bebice questioned thePublic Security Minister, Khemraj Ramjattancircumstances under which the person who was charged for the illegal guns and ammunition was granted bail.During a community meeting on Friday last, residents questioned senior Police Officers about the issue and were told that the Police did their part, but it was the court which granted the man his pre-trial liberty.On December 17, 2018, Police raided the house at Port Mourant and unearthed two rifles and a quantity of ammunition.According to a Police press release, acting on information received, a search was conducted on the premises of a 51-year-old mechanic which uncovered two rifles – one with a microscopic lens along with 284 rounds of ammunition, nine emptyThe guns and ammunition found at Port Mourant, Corentyne, Berbicecasings, three magazines, and a firearm casing.One Michael Bascom was later charged for the offence and was released on bail pending his trial.Meanwhile, on January 27, 2019, Public Security Minister Ramjattan held a public meeting at the said Port Mourant resident’s house where the high-powered weapons and ammunition were found. Efforts by this publication to contact security officials and Minister Ramjattan himself proved futile.
The NHL canceled regular-season games through November, as the labor dispute between the league and the players’ association get nowhereThe league canceled games through Nov. 1 last week following a dispiriting proposal-swapping session between the NHL and NHLPA in Toronto. With no progress made since, the league was forced to wipe out another significant block of the regular-season schedule.A lack of meaningful dialogue between the warring factions means that the league’s marquee event, the Winter Classic, is in jeopardy as well.The annual outdoor game may be canceled as early as next week, a source with knowledge of the league’s plans told ESPNNewYork.com.Commissioner Gary Bettman said a decision on the Winter Classic was needed “very soon” when reached Wednesday at a press conference announcing the Islanders move to Brooklyn.“I’m not going to give you an exact timetable, but at some point in November,” he said. “We will have to commit many millions of dollars to get ready for the Winter Classic, so if there’s still uncertainty, we’re going to have to make a decision and my guess is, we’re not going to commit those dollars unless we have certainty.”Bettman also indicated Wednesday that the negotiation process — one that has been stagnant without any formal meetings over the past week — was likely to get “more difficult” moving forward.The league is following through with that promise Friday, when it is expected to not only cancel games but also inform the NHLPA that its last offer is now off the table.The offer — which included a 50-50 revenue split and provision to “make whole” existing player contracts by using deferred payments — was contingent on playing an 82-game season, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.com. With no chance of salvaging a full season, the offer has been rescinded.The NHLPA has not made any additional offer since its trio of proposals was promptly rejected by the league last week. The union has attempted to stoke negotiations by offering to meet, but the league has spurned those invitations.
With first-time winners taking each of the last seven major titles, you might not think experience counts for much in golf anymore. But as the world’s top players head to Royal Birkdale for this week’s (British) Open, it serves as a reminder that the unique challenges of links-style courses still provide at least one championship showcase for golf’s greybeards.Traditionally speaking, championship golfers do the bulk of their winning in their late 20s and early-to-mid 30s: Since 2000, about 60 percent of major winners were age 32 or younger at the time of their victory. But the big exception seems to be the British Open, whose champs are consistently much older than those of the other majors. Of the five major wins by the 40-and-older set since 2000, only one of them didn’t come at The Open (Vijay Singh’s 2004 PGA Championship win). According to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group, the average age for British Open winners since 2000 was 33.7, while the average age for all other major champs was 30.7.And the results have been even more extreme in recent years, with four 40-somethings winning the Claret Jug this decade,1Henrik Stenson in 2016, Phil Mickelson in 2013, Ernie Els in 2012 and Darren Clarke in 2011. and this doesn’t even count Zach Johnson (who won The Open at age 39 in 2015), nor does it reflect the heroic near-misses from old-timers this century, such as 59-year-old Tom Watson’s playoff loss at Turnberry in 2009 and 53-year-old Greg Norman’s third-place finish in 2008 — the last time Birkdale hosted the event. Since 2011, the average age for The Open winners has been 38.5, nearly 10 years older than the average of the other three majors (28.7), according to ESPN Stats & Information. So why do older players excel at the British? One reason might be in the way experience helps players deal with the ever-changing weather conditions that often beset The Open — and how those same atmospheric effects negate the advantages of long-hitting younger players.To test this theory, I looked at data provided by Stats & Info for the first two rounds of each British Open since 1983. For players who have birthdate information in the database,2Because of incomplete data, about 20 percent of players who played in the British Open are missing age information. I broke them down into the following categories: “Young” (ages 28 or below — the youngest 25 percent of players), “Old” (ages 39 or older — the oldest 25 percent of players) and “Regular” (everyone else). I also recorded whether the average score for a given round was more than three strokes over par, considering such rounds to have “high-scoring” conditions. This is admittedly an imperfect proxy for weather effects, but in the absence of tee times and climate data, it will have to do as a means of flagging rounds where conditions were challenging.When scoring conditions were normal, old and young players shot equally well relative to the field average. (Players who fit neither category shot about a third of a stroke better on average, which makes sense given those players were in the primes of their careers.) But when conditions got bad, the young players shot worse — and the older ones shot better. In high-scoring rounds, young players lost about a third of a stroke per round relative to older players, an even bigger margin than the quarter-stroke they lost relative to prime-aged players.3It’s a safe assumption that the missing ages in this data set only work in the favor of the younger players: Many of the ones missing are amateurs and fringe international qualifiers, who typically put up worse scores; likewise, past Open winners age 60 or younger, who automatically qualify, also tend to perform poorly, but their ages are reflected here. A “high-scoring round” is one in which the field average was more than three strokes over par.Source: ESPN Stats & information group Old (39 and older)1,616-0.11730-0.28-0.17 Open weather can infamously turn on a dime, and it requires shots of a very different shape than the usual ones many younger Americans have spent the vast majority of their careers playing. So at least in part, this is evidence that experience — and not raw power — can help a player better navigate around such challenging conditions.And that shouldn’t be any different this time around, with typical rainy, gusty weather on the forecast for Royal Birkdale. So although this has been a great season for young players on the PGA Tour, don’t be surprised if the sport’s elder statesmen take center stage in England this week. Young (28 and younger)1,408-0.127260.00+0.12 NORMAL ROUNDHIGH-SCORING ROUND When the going gets rough, the old get goingFirst- and second-round scores vs. field average under normal and high-scoring conditions in the British Open, by age, 1983-2016 Regular (29–38)2,765-0.471,153-0.58-0.11 PLAYER AGEROUNDSSCORE VS AVG.ROUNDSSCORE VS AVG.DIFF.
Internazionale striker Mauro Icardi, took a dig at many elements from the last Argentina National Team after the match against Mexico.Back when the old guard of Argentina players was more important for the National Team, striker Mauro Icardi always felt like there wasn’t a camaraderie towards him for some reason and he always felt like an outsider.Now that he returned to the squad without all those veteran players to worry about, Mauro even got to score his very first goal for Argentina and feels more like a leader when he never felt that way in the past.After the second match against Mexico in which he was one of the two goal-scorers, Mauro spoke to the press about a controversial matter and he didn’t hold back when the media members asked him about his previous experience in the National Team.It’s evident that back in the day due to some personal problems he had with striker Maxi Lopez, many Argentina players never got to trust him because of this incident and some of the leaders inside the dressing room cast him out o the squad.But the new group of players that shared time with Mauro, are a younger generation who only know about his impressive spell in European football and they all respect him.”ANTES EN LA SELECCIÓN NO HABÍA ESTE COMPAÑERISMO”#CentralFOX | Mauro Icardi, picante luego del 2-0 de Argentina ante México. pic.twitter.com/9RgonE806J— FOX Sports Argentina (@FOXSportsArg) November 21, 2018After the match, Icardi sent a clear aggressive message to the former Argentina players who rejected him back in the day.“Beyond the goal I scored today, I have to say that I am very happy. Happy for these six matches, for all the players,” said Mauro via Diario Ole.“We gave our absolute best in order to grow and put something beautiful together. I am also very happy because we could finish this year with a victory.”“We are all very happy with Leo (Scaloni), Walter (Samuel), Pablo (Aimar), and the rest of the technical staff. After this, the final decision will come from up top.”“A goal was something I was missing. Fortunately, it finally happened. It makes me very happy as well, I feel very excited because I was waiting for this moment to come.”“I feel very happy with the work that this team has been doing and everything we put together. Not being able to score is terrible for a striker, I had been waiting for this because the people talked a lot of smack about it and I hope I can keep going like this.”Match Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“I honestly feel very important here, with my club as well. If I can wear the number ‘9’ in the National Team is because of what I do with my club, this is exactly what I wanted,” he added.#SelecciónMayor ¡Final del primer tiempo! @Argentina vence 1-0 a @miseleccionmx. El gol albiceleste lo firmó Mauro Icardi. pic.twitter.com/nmLLHrwUIt— Selección Argentina 🇦🇷 (@Argentina) November 21, 2018“Of course we are all expecting Messi to come back, he is the best player in the world. Any team wants to have the best on their side,” he continued.“We hope that he can be with us next year and we expect him to help us during the Copa America. We all felt really comfortable, we have a very nice thing going here.”“I actually lived the previous process and there wasn’t as much companionship or friendship as today. When I came for the first time, the feeling was very different.”“You can feel it here, we are all very young and everybody wants the best for the group. Before, this feeling wasn’t here with all the more experienced players.”“Today everybody is coming from the bottom and they all want things to go well with the technical staff and the teammates. Having that feeling is always a plus. Representing your country is the most beautiful feeling ever.”“We are all young players who are looking to build something for the National Team, that is exactly what we are all looking for. In the past, there were a lot of experienced players who needed to give everything to win and prove themselves.”“Today that feeling is changed, it’s gone. It’s a pity that they weren’t able to win a final, but today we all start from scratch and we made a drastic turn. The pressure is less significant,” he concluded.#SelecciónMayor ¡Ganó @Argentina! Con goles de Mauro Icardi y Paulo Dybala, la Albiceleste superó 2-0 a @miseleccionmx. pic.twitter.com/MLiMLnvpaT— Selección Argentina 🇦🇷 (@Argentina) November 21, 2018What do you think the veteran Argentina players will think about Mauro Icardi’s explosive statements? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.
2018 Ballon d’Or winner Luka Modric wouldn’t say whether or not he will remain at Real Madrid at the end of his current contractThe Croatian playmaker has been at the Santiago Bernabeu since 2012 after completing a £30m transfer from Tottenham.Modric has since managed 13 goals and 42 assists in 277 appearances across all competitions for Real along with winning four Champions Leagues, three Club World Cups and a La Liga title.Come June 2020, Modric will be out of contract at the age of 34 with reports indicating that a new deal with Real is imminent.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.While club president Florentino Perez is keen to keep him, Modric refused to discuss a contract extension.“The only thing certain for now is that I’ll be with Madrid until the end of my contract,” Modric told Sportske Novosti.“Perez told me straight away in the summer – get it out of your head that you’re leaving Real, we have no theory to let you go.”Modric will likely start for Real in today’s La Liga game against 19th-place side Rayo Vallecano at the Santiago Bernabeu.
August 7, 2019 Posted: August 7, 2019 KUSI Newsroom First Measles case confirmed in San Diego County SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The first case of measles this year in San Diego County has been confirmed in an 11-month-old resident who had recently traveled to the Philippines, the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency announced Wednesday.The unimmunized infant is currently hospitalized, but may have exposed others while seeking care.“Measles is a very contagious disease that can be spread easily by coughing, sneezing or being in the same room with an infected person,” said Wilma J. Wooten, M.D., M.P.H., County public health officer. “Anyone who was at any of these specific locations at the dates and times listed above should watch for symptoms and call their health care provider if they show any signs of the disease.”People with symptoms are asked to call their doctor’s office in advance, rather than visit an office directly, so that infection control measures may be activated to prevent exposure to others. Categories: Health, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom,